While a number of people think they would like to win a personal injury lawsuit and get a large settlement, the truth is that the kinds of accidents that lead to large payments are painful and unpleasant. The problem is that many people are injured (and killed) every year by other people’s negligence. It has been estimated that at any given time during the day, about 660,000 people are driving around while talking on the phone. If you have been in a motor vehicle accident that was caused by a distracted driver, you may have a reason to go to a personal injury lawyer. Here are some other things you can do to help your case, per personal injury attorneys:
- Get medical help right away. If you have been injured in a car accident, you may not realize how serious your injuries are. You should always be checked out by medical professionals after you have been in such an accident. If you are injured and do not get medical help for those injuries, you will do your case no favors. Personal injury attorneys will tell you that it does not look good if you appear to be trying to make your injuries, pain and suffering look worse than they are to get a larger settlement.
- Get documentation for everything. When you go to the doctor or to any medical appointment, keep the receipts from your copayment and any other fees or expenses you incur. If you take an Uber car or taxi, keep the receipt. Let the medical professionals who are taking care of you know that you have a personal injury lawyer and see about getting their notes. Keep a journal of your experiences during your recovery. Many people do not think that they will ever forget how much they hurt after their accident but they do.
- See if anyone saw what happened. There may be people who saw what happened to you. See if they will talk to your personal injury lawyer. Take video and photos of the scene. See if there were any security cameras in the area that may have captured your accident. All of the evidence that you can gather to show your side of the accident, the better.
- Listen to your doctors. When you go to the doctor or to a physical therapist, they should give you instructions for your care. You need to follow those instructions to the letter. If an insurance company is going to have to pay out a large sum of money, they are going to look into your case and try to find out if you are as injured as you say you are. If your doctor tells you not to go to work and you do, you can jeopardize your case. Listen to your doctors.
- Get a good lawyer. When you have been in this kind of accident, you should hire a good personal injury lawyer. There is a misconception out there that personal injury attorneys like to take on frivolous lawsuits but this is far from true. Good personal injury law firms do not charge a fee unless they win so they are not going to to be in the business of taking on cases that they think have no chance.
- Make sure you ask the right questions. When you go into to talk to personal injury attorneys, make sure you ask:
- How much experience do you have?
- How much of your practice is spent on this kind of case? You want a lawyer who does a decent number of personal injury cases but it is not unusual for it to not be the only kind of law they practice.
- What are your billing practices? All law firms go about this their own way. While they may not charge a fee unless you win, there may be other costs that you will have to pay when you have a personal injury lawsuit. Make sure you understand all of the billing policies before you hire anyone.
- Talk to a few law firms. You will not know what your options are if you only talk to one law firm.
These steps can really help you with your personal injury case.