Frequently Asked Questions About Workers Comp in Oklahoma

Personal injury

If you have been injured at work, you may have some questions about your next steps. Below are some of the most commonly asked questions about workers compensation in Oklahoma.

What is workers compensation?

It is an insurance program that provides compensation for employees who are injured while on the job. Workers comp issues benefits or monetary compensation for the worker and protects employers from liability lawsuits outside of the victim?s compensation system.

Who is covered by workers comp?

Any employee hired in Oklahoma or any employee who is injured in Oklahoma is covered by the state?s workers compensation laws. Because independent contractors are not considered employees, they are not covered.

How soon after receiving an injury do I have to report it?

A job-related injury should be reported to your supervisor immediately. To increase your chance of securing benefits, you must report the event to your employer within 30 days or medical treatment must be obtained within that period.

How do I get medical treatment?

Your employer will select a treating physician within seven days after notice of the injury. If your employer fails to do this, you can choose your own physician at the employer?s expense.

Will I have to pay for any medical costs?

No, your employer or your employer?s insurance company is responsible for all authorized and necessary medical care for the work-related injury.

What happens if I have to miss work because of my injury?

If you are absent from work for more than seven days after your injury, you will be entitled to weekly Temporary Total Disability (TTD) benefits. The benefits will equal 70% of your average weekly wage. You will be eligible for TTD benefits for as long as you are unable to work; however, there are certain limitations. The maximum duration is 156 weeks for most injuries. TTD for soft tissue injuries like sprains, strains, or tendonitis may have a limit of only eight weeks.

Do I need to have an attorney?

Employees have the right to represent themselves before the Workers Compensation Court of Existing Claims. However, you can choose to hire a workers compensation lawyer if you would like one.
See this reference for more.

Leave a Reply